Iri is one of the Silver Kingdoms in the northwestern rim of Roshar, bordering the Reshi Isles, the Reshi Sea, Rira, Babatharnam, and the Misted Mountains. People from Iri are known as Iriali. Iri is ruled by three monarchs, currently two kings and a queen. The Iriali queen has authority over foreign policy.
- Rall Elorim- The largest Iriali city. Also known as the City of Shadows.
- Kasitor - A large Iriali port city, second in size only to that of Rall Elorim. Also known as the City of Lightning.
- Eila - The city in which the ancient carving written in Dawnchant, the Eila Stele, presumably originated or was discovered.
The Iriali have golden hair, a trait that breeds true, not unlike the black Alethi hair. The purer the Iriali, the more locks of gold in the hair. Many consider a lock of Iriali hair to be a ward of good luck.
Since the climate in Iri is warm, the Iriali often wear scant clothing like waist wraps.
The Iriali also paint their skin with colors and patterns. Plus, practically everyone in Iri has light yellow eyes.
The Iriali are particular about chastity laws, and dislike public nudity.
The Iriali worship a god they call the One.
According to belief, the One knew everything but had experienced nothing. And so the One became Many in order to experience all things. As each experience was different, each brought completeness to the One.
Eventually, all will again become One. Every individual is a different mind of a single being experiencing different lives. As Many, they need ignorance. Each fragment of the One's mind has its own body with different passions and inclinations. They each exist in variety to experience all kinds of thought.*
The Iriali religion may involve fortune-telling with ocean waves, as a member of the Iriali court is the court tidereader. A spanreed meeting between the Iriali queen and Dalinar was moved up because of something seen in the waves.
The philosophy behind the One is that the Spiritual Realm and the Beyond are the same thing. When a person dies, their soul rejoins the Investiture of the Spiritual Realm. Most cosmere philosophers disagree with this belief.
- Wyndle originally wanted to form a bond with a distinguished Iriali matron, but the Ring chose instead for him to bond Lift.
- Axies the Collector, an Aimian, visits Iri to look for spren.
- Rysn and her babsk, Vstim, visit Iri, where Rysn manages to somehow offend the Iriali.
|“||"We are Iriali, and part of the Long Trail, of which this is the fourth land. ... Eventually, all will be gathered back in - when the Seventh Land is attained - and we will once again become One."**||”|
**The Iriali Long Trail is a theology that draws from past cosmere-wide experiences.
A. Yes ... . Her people are related to the Iri, who are not native to Roshar. But she is not Iriali herself. And all the Iriali, they are native to Roshar, people who are born now, even if their people aren't. So Evi ... . You can say, right, like, no humans are native to Roshar. But, yes, she was born on Roshar.
Q. ... Would she might have some of the same blood in her that Vivenna and Siri would have?
A. Vivenna and Siri ... . Oh, from ... . Ah, I'll RAFO that.
Q. The hair color: is there a link between the hair color in Warbreaker and the hair color in - like with the Alethi always have black, and I can't remember the other country that always have their gold hair coloring?
A. Yes. You are noticing something very interesting which was done deliberately.
- Oathbringer, 16. Wrapped Three Times
- The Way of Kings, Inter5.
- The Way of Kings, 16. Cocoons
- Oathbringer, 111. Eila Stele
- Q&A, JordanCon, 4/22/2018
- The Way of Kings, Prologue - To Kill
- The Way of Kings, 18. Highprince of War
- Words of Radiance, 20. The Coldness Of Clarity
- Rhythm of War, 22. No Use Talking
- Book signing, 11/22/16
- Words of Radiance, Inter2.
- Words of Radiance, Inter9.
- Words of Radiance, Inter3.
- Evi Kholin
- Hair Color